SHIPPING & PAYMENTS
- We ship our orders through the very reliable Ghana Post Parcel Service - though their tracking system can be hopeless at times (just email the Baba Tree and we'll get our buddies at Ghana Post to track your item on their mysterious internal tracking system).
- Payments can be made through Visa, MasterCard, or PayPal through our Canadian banking institution.
- Canadian customers: please see the next section for details.
- Orders originating from Africa must be paid using Western Union or MoneyGram.
- Customers from the Republic of South Africa may use Visa, MasterCard or PayPal.
- Our products are not available for sale in Ghana.
Dear Canadian customers, thank you for your great interest in the Baba Tree.
You will be charged GST / PST or HST on your purchases. However, you will also be charged 5% GST (on the invoiced amount and 3% duty) by the CBSA for 'importing' this basket.
The Baba Tree does not want you to assume this extra GST therefore you will receive a 5% discount on this purchase in order to cover the cost of the 'import' GST.
IMPORTANT: Please use the discount code CANADA5Discount at checkout to apply this 5% discount to your purchase.
Thank you for trading with the Baba Tree - providers of the highest quality, most fairly traded baskets from Bolgatanga, Ghana.
- Once you have placed your order, we will send you an email confirming that we have received your order.
- All orders go through a credit card approval process. Orders are not released for shipment until this verification is complete.
- Please note: this can effect the shipment delivery time.
- When your order is shipped, you will receive an email confirmation of shipping and an email receipt.
- A few days after that, you will receive a Ghana Post tracking number from us (that’s just the way it works with Ghana Post).
- To determine when you will receive your order, please note that credit card authorization and verification must be received before we can process your order.
- Your basket(s) will be placed inside a poly woven sack, which will then be placed in a cardboard box.
- There is nothing fancy about our packaging. It just gets the job done and thus don't expect bows, ribbons or lavender scented 'thank you' cards. The cardboard boxes that we use could best be described as utilitarian and won't be personalized or have witty comments inscribed.
- For the Baba Tree to source cardboard boxes in Ghana to be shipped to our dusty outpost in the north of the country requires one to embark on an odyssey fraught with endless frustration. It's the stuff that movies are made of.
- Owing to astronomical shipping costs (you only pay USD $10.00) we often pack our baskets in a compressed state as pictured below. This does not hurt the basket as they are very resilient, and a document will be included in the box showing you how to reshape the basket (SHAZAM!) in a matter of minutes. Upon opening the box, please do your best not to recoil in horror upon seeing your basket in such a state.
Average delivery times for orders shipped:
- Canada / USA, most places in Europe, Taiwan and Japan: 2 - 3 weeks.
- Australia and New Zealand : 2 weeks to a month.
- the Middle East: 2 weeks.
- South America and Central America: 3 weeks to a month.
- African countries: Transit times unknown as we haven’t shipped via Ghana Post to any countries in Africa.
DOCUMENTATION / CUSTOMS / QUARANTINE
For Customs purposes, all shipments will be accompanied by either a ‘Statement of Origin,’ or a ‘Certificate of Origin’ showing that the baskets are 100% made in Ghana.
The Baba Tree cannot take responsibility for any charges, brokerage fees or duties (if any) incurred when your shipment enters your country.
Through our extensive wholesale experience (95% of our wholesale orders are sent through Ghana Post) Baba Tree baskets are duty free in USA, most of Europe (including the UK) and Australia.
However, as is often the case in government agencies, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and that translates into duty sometimes being charged when it shouldn't. The Baba Tree assumes no liability for this.
In the end, it is the customers responsibility to aware of the possibility of paying duty, the rates of duty, GST / VAT, and any handling charges that postal agencies might charge.
If you would like to contact your local Customs office to find out whether your basket will be assessed duty then please quote them "Chapter 46" Commodity.
For Canada, a 3% duty is levied.
- The Baba Tree will not take responsibility for any costs incurred if your shipment is subjected to quarantine inspections that result in your shipment having to be treated with a form of insecticide. With the exception of Australia, no other country that we have shipped to, thus far, has subjected our products to quarantine insecticide treatments.
- Additionally, we will not assume responsibility--financially, or in any other way, if your shipment is not allowed into the country in which you reside--with the result being that your order is shipped back to Ghana.
- If you are not sure about your country’s customs / quarantine laws, then we suggest that you contact your local customs office to find out more information.
In the last 3 years, the Baba Tree has sent just over 2500 parcels through Ghana Post to our wholesale customers throughout the world. Twice we have encountered a problem…
Once in the Netherlands and once in Australia, the postal agencies of those two countries gave notice to our customers that their goods had arrived and a delivery was attempted.
Contrary to international postal regulations and protocols – where the receiving (destination) postal agency has to hold the package for at least 30 days before it is sent back to the country of origin (Ghana), the shipment was sent back to Ghana within days of arriving at the destination country’s post office.
The Baba Tree, nor Ghana Post, will assume responsibility financially, or in any other way, for such breathtaking stupidity, inconsideration and incompetence.
We have sent out over 2500 parcels through Ghana Post and none of them have been lost.