SHIPPING & PAYMENTS
- We ship our orders through the very reliable Ghana Post Parcel Service - though their tracking system can be hopeless at times (just email the Baba Tree and we'll get our buddies at Ghana Post to track your item on their mysterious internal tracking system).
- Payments can be made through Visa, MasterCard, Apple Pay or PayPal through our Canadian banking institution.
- Canadian customers: please see the next section for details.
- Orders originating from Africa must be paid using MoneyGram or worldremit.com which will require you contacting us before you make a purchase.
- Our products are not available for sale in Ghana.
Dear Canadian customers, thank you for your great interest in the Baba Tree.
You will be charged GST / PST or HST on your purchases. However, you will also be charged 5% GST (on the invoiced amount and 3% duty) by the CBSA for 'importing' this basket.
The Baba Tree does not want you to assume this extra GST, therefore, you will receive a 5% discount on this purchase in order to cover the cost of the 'import' GST.
IMPORTANT: Please use the discount code CANADA5Discount at checkout to apply this 5% discount to your purchase.
To claim the CANADA5Discount, you must create an account.
Thank you for trading with the Baba Tree - providers of the highest quality, most fairly traded baskets from Bolgatanga, Ghana.
- Once you have placed your order, we will send you an email confirming that we have received your order.
- All orders go through a credit card approval process. Orders are not released for shipment until this verification is complete.
- Please note: this can effect the shipment delivery time.
- When your order is shipped, you will receive an email confirmation of shipping and an email receipt.
- A few days after that, you will receive a Ghana Post tracking number from us (that’s just the way it works with Ghana Post).
- To determine when you will receive your order, please note that credit card authorization and verification must be received before we can process your order.
- Your basket(s) will be placed inside a poly woven sack, which will then be placed in a cardboard box.
- There is nothing fancy about our packaging. It just gets the job done and thus don't expect bows, ribbons or lavender scented 'thank you' cards. The cardboard boxes that we use could best be described as utilitarian and won't be personalized or have witty comments inscribed.
- For the Baba Tree to source cardboard boxes in Ghana to be shipped to our dusty outpost in the north of the country requires one to embark on an odyssey fraught with endless frustration. It's the stuff that movies are made of.
- Owing to our astronomical shipping costs that we assume (you only pay USD $17.50 - 20.00 per basket) we often pack our baskets in a compressed state as pictured below. This does not hurt the basket as they are very resilient, and a document will be included in the box showing you how to reshape the basket (SHAZAM!) in a matter of minutes. Upon opening the box, please do your best not to recoil in horror upon seeing your basket in such a state.
Average delivery times for orders shipped (not including packages under 2kg which can take longer) :
- Canada / USA, most places in Europe, Taiwan and Japan: 10 days - 3 weeks
- Australia and New Zealand : 3 - 6 weeks.
- the Middle East: 10 days to 3 weeks.
- South America and Central America: 3 - 6 weeks
- The Caribbean: 3 - 8 weeks
- African countries: It all depends on whether there are direct flights from Ghana to various countries on the continent. If our goodies have to travel through numerous African countries to get to you then you and me, both, are taking a bit of a gamble.
- As of 3/11/18 we will no longer send orders to South Africa owing to the breathtaking ineptitude of South Africa Post. If South African customers wish to order baskets from us we must ship them through DHL which will incur a much higher shipping charge than our advertised shipping rates.
- We can get a quote from DHL if needed.
DOCUMENTATION / CUSTOMS / QUARANTINE / SALES TAX / DUTIES
For Customs purposes, all shipments will be accompanied by either a ‘Statement of Origin,’ or a ‘Certificate of Origin’ showing that the baskets are 100% made in Ghana.
-The Baba Tree cannot and will not take responsibility for any charges relating to brokerage fees, duties, VAT or GST and handling charges incurred when your Baba Tree shipment enters your country.
-For most countries, having to pay VAT or GST on goods (and possibly, on the cost of shipping) entering your country that you ordered from overseas, is a fact of life. Simple.
-Baba Tree products are duty-free entering the USA
-For the U.K. and the rest of Europe: customers will most likely pay VAT and / or Customs Duties when the Baba Tree products that you ordered enter the country.
-For Australia / New Zealand customers, depending on which way the wind is blowing, you might get charged Duty and GST, and you might not.
-For Japan and other countries in the Far East - please consult your local customs office regarding Taxes and Duties
If you contact your local Customs office to find out whether your basket will be assessed duty then please quote them "Chapter 4602" Commodity.
For Canada, a 3% duty is levied by the CBSA
- The Baba Tree will not take responsibility for any costs incurred if your shipment is subjected to quarantine inspections that result in your shipment having to be treated with a form of insecticide. With the exception of Australia, no other country that we have shipped to, thus far, has subjected our products to quarantine insecticide treatments.
- Additionally, we will not assume responsibility--financially, or in any other way, if your shipment is not allowed into the country in which you reside--with the result being that your order is shipped back to Ghana.
- If you are not sure about your country’s customs / quarantine laws, then we suggest that you contact your local customs office to find out more information.